Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"hello, this is rené"

Well, first things first.
Planning a wedding is perhaps among the most tedious activities known to man (meaning man. not humanity in general. There is some sort of twisted pleasure that females seem to get from straining over small details. I'm not criticizing. Some people love brussel sprouts and getting punched in the face. More power to them. Different strokes for different folks). But we are less than 3 weeks away from our wedding, and Misty and I are both ready to have it over with.

I dunno if i mentioned it previously, but our luck has been comedically terrible from the moment we got engaged. Her car broke, then my car broke (costing roughly $1000 dollars). 5 of the places we attempted to book for our ring ceremony either denied us or fell through. We've been sick off and on. We had address on invitations wrong (paid for invites twice!). Brides maid dress didn't show up (until yesterday). The temple/church has weird rules. We got stuck in LA traffic while trying to pick up wedding favors thanks to a dude who sold us out hard. I got denied a job i didn't apply for. I got offered a job i didn't apply for, only to have it taken away from me later that day with a call that said "oh. we meant a DIFFERENT Josh Everett." Misty was denied a raise and made to feel that her job is not secure (Misty, the only full time employee, and only female, is being paid less than half of what her part time coworkers make). I was denied from one of my top choice grad schools. We've had issues with friends and family. You name it: it has gone wrong. There's plenty more but im not going to dwell on it.
Arsenal lost their champion's league match to Porto too. UGH.

I intended to write about comics but now this blog almost seems too far off topic to come back to it.
I guess the bottom line is that comics piss me off. They would rather tell ANOTHER zombie story than try something new, ESPECIALLY if that zombie book is written by some B or C list celebrity or their family (Case in point(s): "We Will Bury You" by someone who is on Heroes.(i'd mention her name, but you still won't know who she is) Or how about a story by Nic Cage's SON. or Gene Simmons' SON. Or Rashida Jones from Parks and Recreation/Officefame. OR Peter Petrelli from Heroes. You Get the point.)
How many stories do we have to have that are "this one is zombies in space!", "this one is zombies in the 20's", "this one is zombies underwater", or anything like it. (Comic companies, if you are listening I'd be happy to write any of those stories. haha).

I suppose my main complaint would be that I feel like when someone sets out to write a novel, in their minds it's going to be the next classic american novel and they aspire to accomplish that feat. Nobody sets out when writing their novel saying "instead of aspiring to create something myself i wish i could just Sherlock Holmes fan fiction. It doesn't need to be better than the source material...just good enough." That's what I see in comics. "I don't NEED to write anything innovative, i just need to write a decent story based on an old character." Perhaps I'm being overly critical (i'm sure i am) and there are definitely exceptions. But by and large I think this is an observable trend in comics: 1. Pseudo famous people 2. Zombies and 3. Mediocrity.
(mediocrity is perhaps too harsh a word, but I just wish comics would break out and be all they can be).

Oh, I emailed a comic writer, and he emailed me back. We were supposed to talk on the phone but i blew it. So there's an update in my "im trying to write comics" efforts.
peace.

2 comments:

naomi said...

"Some people love brussel sprouts and getting punched in the face". Classic. I hope you and Misty are alright. Sorry you two are pitted against the universe right now. Fortuna has bad timing.

naomi said...

RASHIDA JONES has a COMIC? Stupid.