i gave a talk in church. you may or may not be interested in it. but here it is.
sorry- i dont write out talks. i just make wack outlines and then you get whatever comes out of my mouth in the moment.
outline formatting doesn't copy/paste into the blog so well. i tried arranging it a little. got tired of it.
deal with it.
a. who am i?
b. What is my topic?
c. Jesus of Nazareth, Savior and King- Neal A. Maxwell
d. The One True God and Jesus Christ Whom Thou Hast Sent-Elder Jeffery R. Holland.
II. 1 Nephi 11:16 & 26
a. Do we know the Condescension of God?
b. Theologically there is plenty to think about.
i. He is the God of the Old Testament. Prophesied by inspired men to come and to save his people.
1. John 1:14 (the word was made flesh and dwelt among us)
2. Isa 7:14, 2 Nephi 2:14, Matt. 1:23, etc. (he would be called Emanuel, or God with us)
ii. On earth he was born to a virgin. By nature he was fully divine, and fully human.
1. ‘To speak by way of analogy, the hypostasis of the eternal Son is like a river that receives two streams: the river is said to receive two streams, but neither of the streams receives the other. In the same way, the eternal Son receives both the name an the definition of “God” and the name and the definition of “man,” but God in no way receives the name or definition of “man,” nore does man receive the name or definition of “God”’- Theodore Abu Qurah
iii. He is the only begotten of the Father.
iv. He bought each of us with a price and made our salvation possible.
d. HOWEVER- rather than focusing on christmas or any other topic, I would like to focus on the import of Christ’s life.
i. John 3:16- For God so loved the world…
ii. In his life he lived with perfect love for those around him. Descending from heaven and from perfection to administer to his children.
1. (I enjoy the stories of human frailty in the scriptures and often think on them in the face of hard times)
2. Peter walking on water (Matt 14:28-…)
3. Bless thou my Unbelief (Mark 9:17-…)
4. Thomas’ Doubt (John 20:24-…)
5. He Cares for us (ACTIVE VERB) (1 Peter 5:7)
iii. The Atonement of the Lord Jesus Christ is central to all of our lives. Though it happened 2000 years ago, it remains the centerpoint of my existence.
1. Isa 50:6- I gave my back to the smiters
2. Isa 49:9- that thou mayest say to the prisoners, Go Forth
3. Alma 7:11-12- that he may know how to succor his people.
4. Heb. 4:15- For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched.
iv. Further we know that he was able to complete his work and bring the Atonement to fruition. Saving us from Sin (and the requirements of the law) and Death.
1. 1 Cor. 15:21-22
2. Job 19:25
Saying prayers in the name of Jesus Christ.
We take upon us his name at baptism and during sacrament.
“O Lord, I know you as much as it is possible for me, forgive me for my knowledge of you is my way of reaching you.”
“if I may be content with simple living such as my hand may gain by its own efforts I shall be safe midst all the turns of fate. O time, be thou my right arm and my aid.”
NUNS from Jerusalem
Igreja dos imitadores de Cristo.